The overlanding community has continued to grow as new technology and engineering have developed new products to accommodate for the utilities and comforts of the lifestyle. The Habitat is no exception and we’ve had the privilege of testing out this new system. And we have not been disappointed.
Weighing in at a mere 340lbs (the average light-weight truck campers weigh in at around 1100lbs), the aluminum shell allows for a single-man deployment, as the weight is managed by robust gas springs. Deployment extends over the back of the truck, doubling as an awning. Once deployed, the Habitat floor opens to the bed below on the front end and the cantilever deck on the end holds a foam mattress, supporting up to 600lbs, i.e. three and a half Jeffs or two Steves. Removable floor plates allow for complete privacy in the ripstop, nylon Nemo Equipment tent. Removing one floor plate and the assistance of a couple alu boxes, creates a perfect desk setup when editing on the road.
This mulitpurposed camper model can be entered through the tailgate or with a ladder through side panels in the tent. Entering through the tailgate, with both floor plates removed, provides for a 7ft ceiling in the bed, allowing for all those T-Swift dance parties. Side panel entrance creates an alternative escape when the galley is preoccupied with the kitchen crew cooking up some delicious vittles.
When closed, the Habitat protects the bed like a topper, but leaves the bed completely empty and accessible for storage, or in our case, our power management system and alu box storage. The easy-access side hatches are designed for quick snack retrieval or grabbing an extra battery, without needing to unload bumper, tailgate, and alu boxes.
Standard Features include:
- Easy 1 minute deployment and stowage
- Sleeps 2 standard
- Built in mattress
- Clothing gear loft and 4 side pockets in tent
- Insulated sleeping platform and shell walls
- Built in awning by design covering entrance area
- All aluminum composite construction
- ruggedly designed for 4×4 travel
- All season tent, no rain fly required
- Standard color: Clear coated aluminum frame with white painted side panels
Specifications and modifications include:
- 32.75″ tall with roof Bars, 32.25″ Tall with Track only, 60″ Wide Roof Bars
- 64″ Wide at base, 53″ Wide at top
- 93.5″ Long at top, 76.375′ Long at base
- 87″ x 48″ x 2″ Hi-Density Foam Mattress with washable cover
- 92″ Standing room at Rear, 81″ Standing room at front
- 186.5″ Long when deployed
- 51″ of headroom over bed area
- 20″ on 6′ bed Tacoma, 32″ on 5′ bed Tacoma
- 23″ from top of truck bed to underside of overhang
Materials Specifications List:
- Insulated aluminum composite panels, Nemo Equipment Habitat Tent: Teflon impregnated ripstop nylon
- Stainless Steel hardware
- .060″ 5052 CNC formed aluminum
- Base weight: 340 lbs
- Roof weight capacity: 350 lbs
- Cantilever Bed loading capacity” 600 lbs
Written On: March 9, 2017